- Lab Preparation and Equipment
- Standard taper 14/20 size D Buchner-type filter funnel (ACE catalog number 9439-08)
- 500-mL round bottom Chem glass, 14/20
- 500-mL or 100-mL separatory funnel
- Compound of interest (5g/student if insoluble, 15g/student if soluble)
- For finely divided compounds, a size E Buchner-type filter funnel can be used. The time for filtering of 1-L through this filter is ~ 20 minutes.
- An ordinary filter crucible with a standard filter flask will suffice for most compounds.
- Safety and Hazards
Those associated with this procedure are related to the compounds chosen.